Thursday, November 12, 2009

Christmas Baking

This year I am determined to start my Christmas baking soon, within the next week or so.  Wanted to start making and freezing some dough this week, but, unfortunately, a cold bug has caught up with me, despite my efforts with the Lysol spray and hand sanitizer.  So, until I feel better, I am just sorting through my recipes and getting my ingredients needed listed, so that when I do start my baking, I'll be ready. 
I'm sharing a couple of recipes.  I will add more recipes off and on this holiday season as I run across some favorites. 

The first recipe is one that I love to make, and they are so yummy.  Really very easy to put together and they turn out very pretty!

Chocolate Mint Sugar Cookie Drops

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mint chocolate morsels
Red & Green coarse sugar

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; set aside.
Combine 1 cup sugar, oil and vanilla in large bowl.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating
well after each addition.  Gradually beat in flour mixture.  Stir in morsels.  Shape
into 1-inch balls.  Roll in coarse sugar.  Place on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 7-9 minutes, or until centers are just set.
Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks. Makes about 5 1/2 dozen.




Cherry Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped maraschino cherries

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sguar until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs and
vanilla.  Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture
and mix well (dough will be thick).  Stir in pecans and cherries.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake
at 375 degrees for 9-11 minutes, or until set and lightly browned.  Makes about 6 dozen cookies.



Now I think I'll look through some more to get more ideas.  Also planning on getting a book from the library called "Oh, Fudge", recommended by my sister-in-law.  Need to brush up on making fudge, and getting it to turn out really good!
Only 2 more weeks until Thanksgiving!  Time to pick up those turkeys and all the goodies that go with it! 

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Ooooh, those cherry ones sound fantastic. Oh yum, yum, yum. Let's do the cheese order the first of next week. Will that be about right for timing?

Mandie said...

Oh these recipes sound delicious!! I will have to try them out for sure. Have a great day!

Mardell said...

Hi Renae,
Thanks for the great recipes! I hope you're feeling better soon. If you're going to be sick, it might as well be now & not on T-day or Christmas! Ugh. I didn't even bake anything last year. It was a rough one. Not sure if I will this year either. I really enjoy it though. Take care & have a great weekend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails