Sunday, March 7, 2010

I Made An Apron!

I made an apron, all by myself! I have done some sewing before, but that was over 15 years ago, in home ec class. Wow! Has it really been that long??

I bought the pattern and material 2 Christmases ago, so technically not 2 years ago, yet. But, I did procrastinate, I tell ya, the pattern had me intimidated! So did that old machine. I did manage to cut the pieces out. But, put it up.

Before Christmas, I got the old, heavy, did I say old sewing machine out. I lugged it to the kitchen table, because for some odd reason I do not like to actually sew in my craft room.  I love being in the kitchen.  Threaded the thing, and got to work patching some of my husbands jeans before trying it out on an actual project. I ended up breaking 2 needles and the motor really sounded sad.  I got out the needle and thread, determined to patch is doggone jeans! Have you ever tried to sew denim by hand? Not easy. 

My husband, for Christmas, took me out to pick out a sewing machine. And I LOVE it!

Last weekend, we had a snow storm roll through, again. How many did that make??
So, bored and tired of working on tax books, I brought out the new and lightweight sewing machine, so no lugging for me anymore.  After figuring out how to use the self threading gadget on the machine, it was a breeze to use!
Patched up 1 pair of his jeans, fixed a blanket where the seam had come apart, and then got brave. Pulled out the apron pieces. Yes, it was a Christmas apron, but I didn't care if it wasn't Christmas, it was snowing after all! Close enough.

I started and finished the apron on the same day. And it actually looks good.  I can see a few things I want to do different next time I make something, but I did better than I thought I would!

So, one more apron to add to my collection.

I have just enough material to make a matching apron for Emily.

The apron hanging up on my apron rack that my dear
friend, Marge gave to me awhile back.

Me in my apron. It's really comfy to wear, too.

Now, my next project is something Emily has picked out. We went to town today, and she found
some dinosaur material, so pj's and an apron have been requested. A dinosaur apron...don't know about her! :-)
We picked up enough material to make both items, some thread, buttons and rick rack. Couldn't decide what color buttons she wanted, so we picked up a multi-color pack. This should be colorful!


5 comments:

Amy said...

Great Job Renae! I love sewing in my kitchen too!

Keeper of the Home said...

Looks good!
~Mrs. M

Gill - That British Woman said...

I love you apron, that is on my to do list this week to make an apron......mine though will be to raise money for a mission in Tanzania.....

You have a super blog,

Gill in Canada, who popped by via ~Kim~

Mardell said...

Hi Renae,
Wow, it's beautiful! I haven't sewn in years either. I'm really itching to. How nice that Al bought you a new machine for Christmas. Sorry to hear that you're getting more snow! Enough already!
Have a great week. Looking foward to seeing Emily's apron.

Unknown said...

Looks Great! You've inspired me to go make.....something...lol.... Have a good day! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails