Monday, September 21, 2009

The Farmer's Creed


This is something that I found several years ago in our issue of New Holland News. We've had it on our Elsie cow/Jersey shelf in our living room. It sums up what I feel and believe. Farmers are facing some really tough times right now, and I fear that times will become more difficult. I know that right now, we will be feeling pinched, but are still blessed to be doing what we love to do, and what is our life.


The Farmer's Creed


I believe in freedom, freedom to work the soil and care for the land, and freedom to worship as I please, but do not believe that freedome is free.


I believe a man's greatest possession is his dignity, and that no calling bestows this more abundantly than farming.


I believe hard work and honest sweat are the building blocks of a person's character.


I believe that farming, depsite its hardships and disappointments, is the most honest and honerable way a man can spend his days on this earth.


I believe my children are learning values that will last a lifetime and can be learned no other way.


I believe farming provides education for life and that no other occupation teaches so much about birth, growth and maturity in such a variety of ways.


I believe many of the best things in life are indeed free; the splendor of a sunrise, the rapture of wide open spaces, the exhilerating sight of your land greening each spring.


I believe true happiness comes from watching your crops ripen in the field, your children growing tall in the sun, your whole family feeling the pride that springs from their shared experience.


I believe that by my toil I am giving more to the world then I am taking from it, an honor that does not come to all men.


I believe my life will be measured ultimately by what I have done for my fellow men, and by this standard I fear no judgment.


I believe when a man grows old and sums up his days, he should be able to stand tall and feel pride in the life he has lived.


I believe in farming, because it makes all this possible.



Just remember to take the time to thank a farmer.

If Farmer's Fail, America will Fail.

3 comments:

Baba said...

I love this. Thanks for posting.

Jenny said...

Wow, Renae. I love this. Love the picture and the sentiment and that you took your precious time to post it to share. Thank you.

psmflowerlady said...

I just found your blog and want to compliment you on it. You do a great job. I see you @ the Marietta farmer's market (don't get there as often as I'd like) and love your cheese. I'll "visit" in blogland if not @ the market! Again - nice job. Tammy

Related Posts with Thumbnails